Friday 8 June 2012

Prometheus...

So, Prometheus. One of the year's hottest releases and easily the film I have been most looking forward too. Other than The Dark Knight Rises and The Avengers, this had the most to live up to in terms of fan expectation. People wanted a lot of this film and were hoping that it would deliver the goods. So what were my thoughts you ask? After seeing the film in an Imax screening a mere three days ago I can successfully say that I have digested the events of the films 124 minuet run. I have concluded that it is one of the most spectacular things I have ever seen. In the opening shot we see planet earth in all its majesty, shot in a way that is reminiscent of 2001: A Space Odyssey. In a similar way to that film, Prometheus then goes on to explore the origins of man. A weighty theme that I feel it carried well through its course. The story is at times cliche and predictable but never in a way that detracts from the overall spectacle of the movie. Far be it for me, a humble nerd, to critique the directorial efforts of Sir Ridley Scott but I feel he handled this film better than any other. His last effort,  the disappointing Robin Hood, left me wanting more  and I can safely say that I got what I wanted and then some. From the opening shot to the closing shot Prometheus is a ride that delivers visually and in the story department. While the script is sometimes shaky with some strange story directions and poor character development, on the whole it delivers. I can't talk about the film without giving mention to the trio of actors that lead the cast. Fassbender, Theron and Rapace are all on top form here with Theron providing a different take on the 'company woman' and with Rapace offering a faith driven lead that is as good as Ripley from the original films. It is Fassbender however that steals the show with the most impressive performance that mixes child like wonder with Sheldon-esque genius qualities. He is perfect as the curious android David and quickly becomes the driving force behind the film. So to sum up, Prometheus delivers. Its not as good as Alien or Aliens and won't be stealing any praise from Blade Runner but it is easily one of the best science fiction films of the past decade. A must watch.

**** - 4 Stars


No comments:

Post a Comment